Google Maps Platform Update
The new Maps, Routes and Places functionality, terms and pricing goes into effect on July 16th 2018.
Google has moved the effective date of its new pricing, and the $200 free monthly credit, to July 16th. Google is launching the new Maps, Routes and Places functionality on June 11th. To provide you with an additional month of lead time, the new terms and pricing won’t go into effect until July 16th. Please take advantage of this time to try the new features and familiarize yourself with how billing will work.
Starting June 11th
Google will enforce the use of API keys beginning on June 11th. Keyless usage will result in a degraded experience, or an error.
All product changes will be will be available to try, free of charge, between June 11th and July 16th:
- Find Place (Web Service) is a new Place Search feature that takes a text input, and returns the requested place data.
- FindPlaceFromQuery returns a place based on a text query (for example, the name or address of a place).
- FindPlaceFromPhoneNumber returns a place based on a phone number.
Some products with revised billing will be available to try in beta, free of charge, between June 11th and July 16th:
- Maps Embed API requests using Directions, Street View, or Search will be billed at a higher rate (all requests are free until July 16th).
- Places services will be billed in a more granular manner. Places Details requests, Places Text Search requests, and Places Nearby Search requests will each be reported separately. All Places requests are free until July 16th.
- Places data SKUs will be reported (Basic Data, Contact Data, Atmosphere Data). For example, a single Place Details request may have multiple SKUs depending on the data that was returned. All Places data is free until July 16th.
- QPD limits will be gradually removed in the coming weeks.
The current pricing model remains in effect until July 16th, with the exception of new services, which will be free ($0) between June 11th and July 16th.
- Directions API requests using waypoint optimization and/or traffic models will be billed as Directions Advanced (all requests are billed using the current pricing model until July 16th).
- Distance Matrix API requests using traffic models will be billed as Distance Matrix Advanced (all requests are billed using the current pricing model until July 16th).
- If you have enabled billing, the console will show the new SKUs for usage after June 11th. If billing is not enabled, the new SKUs will not be visible.
- To estimate your future spend, you may review your usage in the Billing Report (filter to only show dates beyond June 11th, and compare it to the new pricing). Learn more about how Google Maps Platform APIs are billed.
- If you do not have access to your billing account, you can access usage information for your project by accessing the billing overview for your account.
Starting July 16th
- Updated pricing for all products will take effect, including the $200 free monthly usage per billing account.
- The billing requirement will be enforced. All projects must be associated with a billing account, or will not be able to make API requests over $200/mo.
- New Query per Second (QPS) limits.
- The new Google Maps Platform Terms of Service becomes effective.
- New users of the Maps Elevation API, must contact support for access.
- Contact SIME to find out more about changes to product names and billing SKUs.
Premium Plan Customers
The timeline above, does not impact customers with usage signed by a Premium Plan API key or Client ID. Premium Plan customers will start their migration in September, 2018. For Premium Plan customers, the new product changes will be available, and will be billed similarly to the existing Places API features.
- Find Place requests will be charged the same as a Places API server-side and client-side request (2 Maps API credits).
- Requested data fields do not affect the cost of a Places Details or Places Search request.
- Autocomplete session billing is not supported; Autocomplete will only be billed per request.
SIME Value Proposition
Why chose us as your Google solution provider?
Specializing in providing Google Maps based Enterprise GIS solutions to its clients around the region, we are in a unique position to help you make the best out of your Google subscriptions. Our team of Google experts will help you during this transition period where new terms and pricing will come into effect. We will make sure that the new updates have a positive impact on your business. This is how we can help:
- Seamless transition to the new plan
- Access to higher discount
- No credit card required
- Account Management
- Bundle package through yearly plan (customized)
- Easy (Billing model, procurement process, payment plan)
- Local Technical Support and consultancy
Contact us to find out how this update impacts you and how we can help you in this transition.